Studying finance and economics is one of my nerdy hobbies. A friend of mine, Window Snyder, wanted to know what I have read and what I am reading to follow the field. She also thinks I don't blog enough, so Window, this list of books, newspapers, and blogs is for you:
- When Genius Failed: The Rise and Fall of Long-Term Capital Management - A detailed account of how one of the first major hedge funds blew up. The author does a fantastic job explaining complex financial instruments at an introductory level.
- My Life as a Quant: Reflections on Physics and Finance - A good view into moving from a life in academia to one in quantitative finance.
- The Economist - My wife refers to this newspaper as my "news porn". I can't think of better praise.
- The Big Picture - Last serious finance blog you need.
- Long Or Short Capital - Wall Street Journal meets The Onion.